This workshop format includes everything you need to get started as a birth doula.
- Day 1 includes the Introduction to Childbirth Education for Doulas class,
- Day 2, 3, and the morning of the 4th day is the DONA Birth Doula two-and-a-half-day basic workshop, and
- the afternoon of the 4th day is the Breastfeeding for Doulas class. You will be well on your way towards DONA Birth Doula Certification at the end of this four-day event.
Nicole and Katie have learned that all women who come to doula trainings have all come via remarkable and diverse life journeys that have created in resilient, powerful and intuitive women. We follow the methodology of popular education thereby creating space for workshop participants to discover. This method empowers participants to share their knowledge and experience, while learning from and sharing with one another. Workshops are hands-on, experiential, engaging, and filled with moments of laughter and tears as people share their stories.
Now is the time to become part of this extraordinary experience and become a birth doula. Women around the world appreciate and value a doula's unique skill set. A doula is a knowledgeable and compassionate birth companion who stays with the family through labor, birth and beyond. Birth doulas offer emotional support, encouragement and wisdom throughout labor and birth.
Introduction to Childbirth Education for Doulas
This dynamic one-day class will cover all the basics of childbirth education you need to begin your doula journey! You also will meet the DONA Birth Doula certification requirements for childbirth education by attending this one-day class. This class is not a prerequisite to attend the Birth Doula Skills Workshop, but it is HIGHLY recommended unless you have prior training as a childbirth educator, midwife, or labor and delivery nurse. Please check in with Nicole and Katie to confirm that your experience fulfills the DONA requirements.
- Anatomy and Physiology of pregnancy,
- Common discomforts of pregnancy and helpful advice for dealing with them,
- Phases and stages of labor,
- Emotional changes during labor,
- Common interventions
- Tips for how to facilitate decisions in challenging childbirth situations
- Cesarean birth
- ...all topics covered in this childbirth class will be discussed through the lens of a doula
Birth Doula Training
The Birth Doula Training workshops will cover:
- Role of the Doula
- Prenatal contact
- What to pack in your Birth Bag
- Emotional, physical, and informational support of women and families in the prenatal period, at birth, and in the early postpartum period
- How to effectively involve other support people
- Comfort measures
- Common interventions and medications
- Supporting women with epidurals
- Breastfeeding initiation
- How to become a certified doula with DONA International
- Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics
- Inter-professional Relationships
- How to build a doula business
- Pathways to Midwifery or Nursing
- Self Care for Doulas
- AND More!!!!!!!!!
You will be given all the necessary tools to begin your journey towards becoming a certified doula through DONA International.
Breastfeeding for Doulas
This interactive half-day training will introduce: breastfeeding basics and barriers, anatomy and physiology of the breast and baby, breastfeeding in the early days and weeks, and common challenges. The class will be taught by an experienced International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). This class will meet the DONA Birth Doula certification requirement for breastfeeding education.